Grilled Lamb Shank Recipe
Gourmet lamb shank recipe for braised lamb shanks on the grill with onions, garlic, balsamic vinaigrette, fresh herbs, and vegetables. Try it and tell us what you think at the bottom of this page.
Braised Lamb Shank Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Time: 2 1/2 - 4 hours
(time depends on grilling method)
Grilling Instructions for Lamb Shanks Recipe1. In a blender mix together the red wine, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped onions, garlic, tomato paste, fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Blend for at least 15 second to make sure all the ingredients thoroughly combine.
2. In a large resealable plastic bag, add the blender mixture and lamb shanks. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, prepare your grill for high indirect heat (500 degrees F). If you're using charcoal, fill a charcoal chimney starter completely full. Once pre-burned, pour coals onto one side of the grill. (Plan on going through about 1 1/2 chimneys of charcoal (lasts up to 5 hours).
4. Remove lamb shanks from the marinade and pour the remaining contents of the bag into your large drip pan. Add the Roma tomatoes to the pan.
5. Clean oil grate.
6. Place drip pan on the bottom of your grill where there are no coals. Grill the lamb shanks uncovered over direct heat for about 2 - 3 minutes per side. This will sear them to seal in flavor and moisture. Now move the lamb shanks to indirect heat (the other side of your grill where there are no coals; on top of where the drip pan is).
7. Cover the grill and adjust the vents until the internal grill temperature reaches 225 - 275 degrees F.
Temperature is extremely important when it comes to grilling lamb shanks on the barbeque. Don't guess, use a thermometer. You want to keep the temperature as constant as possible, between 225 - 275 degrees F.
You can maintain the right temperature by checking your grill thermometer frequently, adding charcoal as necessary, and adjusting the grill vents accordingly: opening them up will increase cooking temperature while closing them decreases it.
When adding coal, NEVER use unburned coal! Always pre-burn them first in a charcoal chimney.
8. Continue grilling lamb shanks, covered, for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Every 30 minutes, baste them with the juices in the drip pan.
NOTE: If you're pressed for time, you can shorten the grilling time to just over 1 hour by maintaining a grill temperature of 350 degrees F instead of 225.
9. The lamb shanks are done when and instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the shanks registers about 155 degrees F.
10. To serve: Mix together the cornstarch, water, and brown sugar so that it forms a paste with no lumps. Slowly stir this into the drip pan to thicken and sweeten the drippings until they turn into a gravy. Serve the braised lamb shanks with the gravy on top.
More Grilled Lamb Recipes
Top of Grilled Lamb Shank Recipe
Best Grilling Tips and Recipes Homepage